Oral Health Education
At Aesthetic Smiles we are passionate about preventative dentistry. We believe that prevention is better than cure, which is why we offer oral health education for patients of all ages, here in the comfort of our practice.
A good oral health care regime involves teamwork, comprising regular visits to the dentist and hygienist with a prudent homecare regime. At Aesthetic Smiles, our oral health educator and hygienist provide oral health education to help you look after your own and your family's teeth between dentist visits.
Oral health education advice will be tailored to suit individual patients' needs and will be presented in a way that is easy to understand and age-appropriate. If you have any questions about your home healthcare regime, please do not hesitate to ask us.
Oral health education for adults
Every patient's needs will be different, however we commonly provide advice on the following topics:
- The best type of toothbrush to use and the correct brushing technique
- Use of floss or interdental brushes to clean between the teeth
- Use of specialist mouthwashes or other products
- The importance of regular dentist and hygienist visits
- Smoking cessation advice
- Advice on diet and how foods and drinks impact on our oral health
- Early signs of gum disease and how to prevent it/treat it
- Special advice for patients with braces or other orthodontic devices
- Special care of restorations, dentures, implants etc
Oral health education for children and young people
Advice will be presented in an age-appropriate manner that is easy to understand. It is designed to be both educational and fun. Parents should accompany their children to oral health education appointments. Advice may include:
- The importance of brushing your teeth twice a day
- How to brush your teeth and how long for
- Cleaning between your teeth
- Dietary advice – good and bad foods and drinks for our teeth and gums
- The importance of regular dentist visits
- How to help the dentist look after your teeth
- How to take care of your teeth when you have braces